- Prep time:20 mins
- Cook time:3-5 hours.
- 4 Whole grass fed beef cheeks (approx 3 lbs)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Med onion chopped
- 1 Large carrot chopped
- 1 Stalk of Celery chopped
- 1 Large garlic clove finely chopped or crushed
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Cups red wine or ▼
- 1 Cup red wine vinegar and 1 ½ cup beef or chicken stock
- 1 Can whole or sliced tomatoes (not strained)
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp pepper
Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- In a 5 quart oven proof pot, heat 2 tablespoons of Olive oil on high.
- Let your cheeks air dry a few minutes, then salt and pepper both sides
- Test the oil with a small piece of meat. You want to hear a nice loud sizzle, the goal is to get a nice brown searing all around your cheeks. Once seared, turn the heat down, take the cheeks out and set aside. Leave all fat and drippings in the pot
- In the same pot add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. You might have to add a bit more oil at this point. Cook on medium heat until veggies are tender. Add the red wine or red wine vinegar and stock and the bay leaf. Bring to simmer. Reduce sauce depending on cooking time. Longer cooking time reduce sauce by a 1/4, 8-10 mins.
- Add the cheeks and any dripping back into the pot. Pour in your tomatoes. Put the lid on and set it in the oven for 3-5 hours. Start checking it at 3 hours to find your desired texture and tenderness. Once done, the cheeks should be ever so tender! Can be served with a variety of sides. We did ours with a creamy sweet potato puree.